Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Network for Good Fundraising Community
Post a New Reply
Digital Giving Expert

Nonprofit 911: 5 Steps to Scintillating Appeals

Join us here to continue the conversation from our webinar presentation featuring storytelling guru Lisa Cron. Share you thoughts and ask questions for our team -- we can't wait to hear how you plan to include stories in your appeals this year-end fundraising season!

Caryn D. Stein
Senior Manager, Content Strategy
Network for Good

Follow us on Twitter: @Network4Good
Like us on Facebook

Collector

Re: Nonprofit 911: 5 Steps to Scintillating Appeals

It was conveyed that stories should help donors understand how the character (the person we are serving) is impacted and help the reader visualize being in the other person's "skin'. Well, what about the population with autism, in which research is still trying to understand? not one person is the same and every family's story is different. The person with autism can't tell you their challenges, so how do we relay that understanding? 

Do we use the angle from the family, the therapists? How do we appeal to donors who can't even conceptualize what it's like to have autism or have a child with autism?

Highlighted
Digital Giving Expert

Re: Nonprofit 911: 5 Steps to Scintillating Appeals

Hello Crystal --

Thanks for posting your question. I asked Katya to chime in on this and here's what she had to say:

Great question. Keep in mind, though, that for any cause, each person’s experience with it is unique. You aren’t looking for a cookie cutter story that represents a common experience that applies to everyone. You are seeking one extraordinary story that helps give us a glimpse into one person’s authentic and unique experience.  I would work from the point of view of a parent – or therapist – and have them share their experience with autism. It will be incredibly powerful for us to imagine what it’s like to be in their shoes.

I hope this helps, please let us know how it goes for you!

Best regards,

Caryn D. Stein
Senior Manager, Content Strategy
Network for Good

Follow us on Twitter: @Network4Good
Like us on Facebook