Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Network for Good Fundraising Community
Post a New Reply
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Website design

What is your thought on using GoDaddy Website Tonight templates for a website? I have very little time to work on and update our site and this seemed like the best and most cost effective for us at the time. I have kept it b/c I have not found a better alternative. Ideas, thoughts etc? Thanks bunches. 

Digital Giving Expert

Re: Website design

Hello kinnears --

Thanks for posting -- this is a great question and I think one that a lot of our nonprofit friends can identify with! We know you want to have the best website possible, but may not always have as much time or as many resources as you'd like to spend on creating your nonprofit's website. I will ask Katya, Mark & Alia to weigh in on this one, but I will share my initial thoughts and invite others to chime in as well.

Although many organizations strive to have a flashy & unique website, I think it's more critical that you are covering the main points we covered in the webinar and ensuring that you are providing a clear and compelling message about what your organization does as well as easy ways to find opportunities to get involved -- whether this is to donate, volunteer or interact with your organization. It's entirely possible to create a website starting from a template that will hit all of these points.

That said, you want to take care not to make your website feel like it's just a carbon copy of everyone else who may be using that template, so be sure to include your logos and images that will personalize this as much as possible. I am not familiar with GoDaddy's templates specifically, but I suspect that many webhosting providers offer an array of styles and components to choose from. I think that the majority of the nonprofit website best practices that we reference aren't limited to certain levels of technology or platforms, but rather how we choose to present the information and assets we have in our storytelling arsenal.

Here are some additional resources that should be helpful as you consider what you should include in your website (and what to leave out!):

8 Things Your Nonprofit Home Page Should Have

10 Critical Points for Updating Your Nonprofit Website

Optimizing Your Landing Pages: Improving the Odds You Get What You Want from Supporters

I hope this helps and please let us know how it goes. If you have a link to your website and want to post it here, I'm sure others will also chime in with their tips.

Best regards,

Caryn D. Stein
Online Community Strategist
Network for Good

Occasional Contributor

Hello kinnears --

I really wanted to get some feedback to you since I've had experience with a Go-daddy account and other sites that you will use to build an HTML type of webpage.  I am far from a tech savvy person, but I've had to learn how to get a site up and going or have no site at all.  This sort of pulls a hidden side out of you... at least temporarily tot meet your needs.

I'm presently putting up our nonprofit site at akrna.com. I put this here so you can see what someone can do with a  WordPress site!  OH, MY, it is 1000000 times easier to work with than any HTML site as Go-daddy will be for you.  Go-daddy can be your hosting site, though they aren't the best option you can find because their control panel is not what I would call intuitive.  A hosting site that offers a C-Panel is SOOO much easier to figure out and get some work done.  It's a snap to get help and assistance to load up a WordPress theme with a c-Panel hosting site, or you can use a WordPress.org site (might be .com??)  (1000's of choices exist as a WordPress template you can work with without having to deal with much HTML, and many resources for tips and insights to using WordPress).   The person who steered me towards WordPress changed my life, lowering my stress factors notably.  I shall be forever grateful for the tip!

From my torturous experience with site building tools and the wonder of WordPress, you will be amazed. It will cost you less, you can be in control of your page content and change it without having to wait for a webmaster to load it up for you.  I can suggest an really honest and well priced mentor for WordPress help who has made my website building chores a task I can handle.  It takes work, but you can DO IT!

If you desire a link to this mentoring service, let me know & I will get it for you.  I'm not at my usual place writing this or I would have just included it herein.

Best of luck to you and your endeavors.

All to Love,

Sharon Quinn

Digital Giving Expert

Wow! Great input -- thanks for sharing your advice and experience with this Sharon! There are definitely a lot of options with Wordpress as well as resources out there, so this is another good suggestion for nonprofits. 

Kinnears -- I hope you can keep us posted on how things are going and if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,

Caryn D. Stein
Online Community Strategist
Network for Good