07-13-2011 1:21 PM, EDT
The NetworkforGood.org Giving System is based on the public charity portion of the GuideStar database of 501(c) organizations. If your organization is recognized as exempt from federal income tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, it is listed at GuideStar, and as such is the potential recipient of donations (unless you ask to be removed from the Network for Good Giving System). To help donors find out more about the work of your organization be sure to enhance your listing by registering at www.guidestar.org.
Network for Good only includes public charities recognized by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The GuideStar directory that Network for Good uses for this data contains more than 1.5 million nonprofit organizations. However, a charity may not be listed in GuideStar, and thus Network for Good, for various reasons, including the following:
- The organization may be listed under a slightly different name, in which case you may want to search by keywords (versus organization name). This is most often the culprit for not finding a charity.
- The charity only recently received its 501(c)3 status and has not yet been added to the GuideStar database. GuideStar updates its listings monthly, so you may want to check back regularly to see if your favorite charity becomes listed.
- The organization is recognized as a private foundation (not a public charity), and thus is not listed on Network for Good.
- The charity may be a place of worship that is not required to be recognized as a tax-exempt organization by the IRS.
- The organization has opted-out of receiving online donations through GuideStar.
We recommend you modify your search or use keywords to locate the charity. If you still cannot locate the charity, you may wish to contact the organization directly.