03-01-2012 7:44 AM, EST
1. Emailing people without permission in the blind hope one of them will read your message and give money. Spray and pray = watered down results.
2. Sending the same message to everyone. Impersonal = ineffective.
3. Blasting out a message with no way to encourage conversation. No reply = no response.
4. Forgetting to test the message to Gmail, Yahoo!, etc. Make sure your email gets delivered and doesn’t show up as one big, blocked image with a red X. And that it doesn’t look horrific on an iPhone or Blackberry.
5. Treating email like a island. Integrate your email campaigns with your direct mail, your social media, etc. Donors don’t stick to one channel in isolation, nor should you.