By Kate Olsen
Yahoo! is an important media partner during times of humanitarian disaster: the company focuses attention on the call to action via the Yahoo! homepage and mobilizes users through a curated list of ways people can help.
In preparation for disaster response, Yahoo! has developed an internal checklist and designated the key contact(s) for each step. The major elements of the Yahoo! response include:
- Posting a “How to Help” blog on Yahoo! News that lists ways to support the relief efforts.
- Highlighting banners on many Yahoo! front pages globally and properties within the U.S. that drive traffic to the “How to Help” blog.
- Featuring a live ticker on many Yahoo! properties, displaying the total number of donors and total amount donated through the Yahoo! Network.
- Spreading the word about the “How to Help” blog through Yahoo!’s social media channels.
- Informing employees of Yahoo!’s corporate response and about how they can help.
- Granting funds to the relief effort through the Yahoo! Employee Foundation.
Key lessons learned:
1. Immediately confirm that the affected country and local nonprofits are accepting aid before including a donation call to action in communications.
2. Maintain an updated checklist with current contacts to increase speed in coordinating the response across different teams.
3. Incorporate social proof (like a donation ticker) to demonstrate the collective impact and encourage more action.
For more lessons on corporate disaster giving, download our FREE eGuide, How to Help: 5 Steps to Effective Corporate Disaster Giving Campaigns.